Monday, August 5, 2019

Posted Posted by Admin in Comments No comments

Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Soap in a Wooden Bowl, 3.5 oz.

Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Soap in a Wooden Bowl, 3.5 oz.

This is a wonderful soap. It lathers really nice and quickly and has a decent smell, which is not really strong. I found that I like shaving soap the most out of all other types (lather and non-lather cream, gel, foam, etc). It is also quite easy to wash of, unlike some shaving creams where you have to wash your face for half an hour before it stops feeling soapy.

If you have problems producing lather with this soap, you are doing something wrong, go watch a video or read a manual on how to use shaving soaps.

I highly recommend this soap. Also I found that I have the best experience with a straight razor with this soap.

I am beyond impressed with this shave soap! It's truly fantastic stuff, better than the TOBS cream and way better than other competitors. I've been shaving with a DE razor for about a year now. I've learned a lot along the way and changed a lot of the products I use numerous times, trying to find the stuff that work best. I've finally placed the last piece of the puzzle in discovering this TOBS shave soap.

The reason for my frequent changes in gear and method have to do with my difficult beard situation. I have a pretty thick beard (can grow it full in about 3 weeks), and the hairs grow in all different directions, not in any uniform way like most guys with thicker beards. I'm also very lean and have paper-thin skin, especially on my neck, meaning it's a real bear to shave over my bumpy adam's apple, sharp jaw line, and bony chin without getting a nick. (You fleshy faced guys out there don't know how easy you have it to be shaving over a smooth and forgiving surface!)

My quest for the perfect shaving soap/cream took a while to lead me here. First I tried several different kinds of Proraso shave soap (pretty good stuff: the green tub is better than the red sandalwood), one kind of Proraso shave cream (not as good as their soap), and finally the TOBS shave *cream*. The TOBS shave cream was my favorite of these early finds. I gather that many people on this page have tried it at one point and written at length about its virtues. It works well, smells great, and excels especially at keeping the skin from drying out. I used a whole tub and never thought I'd switch.

But, the day came when my tub of TOBS cream was running out. I like to shave in the shower occasionally (with the excellent Deluxe LED Fogless Shower Mirror with Squeegee by ToiletTree Products. Guaranteed Not to Fog, Designed Not to Fall. 20% Larger Than Our #1 Selling Original Mirror.). Shave cream is not so good for shower shaving because it's more finicky about water mixture, and excess moisture in the shower always throws things off. But shave soap is great in the shower, so I thought I would try TOBS shave soap of the same scent.

I'm TOTALLY impressed with TOBS shave soap. It lathers easily. It smells great. It's much easier to use this product straight out of the bowl than to lather up cream in a mug (which also takes up more space on the counter). Best of all, TOBS shave soap is SUPER smooth on the face -- much smoother than any other option I've tried, including TOBS's cream. I can shave fast and carelessly without getting the slightest nick. I can also shave through several days of thick stubble without any pulling at all. The actual product sold on this page comes in a wooden bowl, with the soap fitted perfectly inside (replacements available, of course). The soap is flat on top and comes nearly to the top rim of the wooden bowl. Some of the lather will definitely spill over the edges of the bowl when you shave, but I don't count this as a problem. When I'm in the shower, I just put the lid on and wipe away the excess soap from the sides of the bowl with my fingers. Outside the shower, I put the lid on and wipe the sides with a towel. This small bit of spillover residue actually has the effect of making a nice smell on my towel and the edges of the bowl to fill the bathroom for the rest of the day. I like it.

Again, this is really great stuff and I cannot recommend it more highly. It will give you the smoothest, easiest lather you have ever experienced!

Started with TOBS sandalwood cream and wanted to go to the more authentic soap and bowl instead of the premixed cream

Reviewed the options for just purchasing the puck and bowl separately and went with the bowl and soap for the value.

The TOBS mixed fairly easy and created a rich lather which at first made me nervous since it went on thick instead of slick with the cream. After the first pass I noticed that the razor wasn't sliding so much as gliding which gave a closure shave.

Will be keeping bowl to refill with TOBS soap after this is depleted

Pros
Lathered easily
Scent was mild in comparison to cream
Lid fit snugly after first use

Cons
Wooden bowl has off scent which might go to why some people complain concerning scent of soap

I would have to say if you are a TOBS fan it is a great product the scent is mild and the lather has left my face moisturized and smooth after using this product

Overall I am pleased with this purchase and will purchase the soap again

Love the scent, and the quality of the lather, but, if you have really sensitive skin, this product's ingredients may, or could irritate your skin, especially if you lather-up on your beard instead of a cup.
If you lather your soap in a cup/dish, then skin irritation due to the soap's ingredients would be of less concern.

The great sandalwood scent hit my nose once I opened the flap on the TOBS box. The scent is significantly stronger than the puck of the cream. Great lather, great shave. The soap is just sitting loosely in the wooden bowl when first opened, so you can take the puck out of the wood bowl, and put it into a mug or shave bowl. The wooden bowl is just a novelty. Used this soap with Merkur 34C, Merkur Futur, Merkur Progress, Parker Variant, and many more, with Feather and Astra SP blades.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • English Classic
  • High Quality British Shave Soap
  • For use with a shaving brush
  • Sandalwood Shaving Soap in a Wooden Bowl that can be refilled using the sandalwood refill soap.

Description

We offer you the finest range of shaving brushes, razors and shaving accessories, manicure sets, deodorants, talcs, soaps, oils, sponges, hair brushes, combs, shaving mirrors, our own brand of aftershaves, colognes an men's shaving gifts.



I've been using the Taylor Sandalwood cream for a few years. Once my son started shaving with a brush, I noticed we were going through the stuff at an alarming rate!

I decided to try the soap as a way to get him to slow his roll a bit. Worked great. He came home from college in May...It's now the end of August and he just went back. There's hardly any difference in the level of soap in the wooden bowl. I'm certain this will last me through the end of the year.

As great as it is, it took some getting used to. I've always liked shaving after a shower. The beard is softer, and the sandalwood has a great scent. The thing with the soap is-in order to get a good lather going, you need the brush to be a lot wetter than with cream, and it's just messier. Once I figured that out and adjusted my routine, I was getting shaves every bit as close as with the cream.

Remember-you only pay for the bowl the first time-after that, be sure you just order the soap refill.

So far Taylor of old bind street as yet to let me down. I was sold on prorasso shaving products UNTIL TOBS....this is the first tine using shave soap....I usually use Prorasso shave cream...this stuff cam in an awesome bowl, lathers supper easy and thick, gave me a closer shave and I experienced no razor burn or ingrown hairs. I consider my face to have sensitive skin and use aveeno lotion as a pre-shave oil then lather up with my feather razor and man its shaving bliss. I also use the TOBS sandalwood aftershave lotion. For me personally I can do 3 and 4 passes with ease. This is now my set ritual and will not be changing...Highly recommend this stuff I am so glad I tried this line of products.

I bought this soap 4 years ago and I'm just now getting to the end of it. It lasts forever, smells good and you get a cool little bowl you can put your weed in if you ever finish the soap. I'm not some low testosterone fem-man who only grows a weak mustache and four chin hairs either, I'm practically one of those Mexican wolf-men. I also shave my armpits to reduce aerodynamic drag on my punches so I probably go through more shave soap than average.

Bought it as a gift and have heard great things in response to it. I buy Art of Shaving for my husband, but that is far more expensive and this was for an in-law for whom I wasn't going to make that stretch. I read a lot of reviews saying people liked this as much as AoS and I can see why. Not having used it myself, but the packaging is just as nice (wood bowl) and the fragrance smells as nice as well, subtle, high quality. Brother in-law was really happy with it (I bought him a shaving brush from the same maker. That was also quite nice - heavy, metal handle. satisfying heft.)

This was a gift for my husband, and he loves it! The wooden bowl is beautiful and very classy. He is very pleased with the quality and performance of the soap, noting that it gives him a much closer, cleaner shave than standard shaving cream. Even though he shaves every day, it also looks like this soap is going to last forever!

He likes the smell, and I love it! So enticing. We are both very happy with this. We will buy again and absolutely recommend to others!

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment