Saturday, January 4, 2020

Posted Posted by Admin in Comments No comments

Merkur-Razor Travel Razor Chrome Plated In Leather Case, Straight Cut

Merkur-Razor Travel Razor Chrome Plated In Leather Case, Straight Cut

I wish I would have invested in this years ago. Everything about disposable multiple blade razors is a scam and a racket. The years that I spent wasting money on multi blade name brand razors and the amount of irritation I've suffered is unbelievable and boarders on traumatizing. Yeah, I'm being dramatic but, damn it people! This is real. The thousands of dollars I've spent between the Gillette Sensor and Mach series just to get these uncomfortable shaves? It offends me that I was sold on that bullshite. I was lied to and bilked by Proctor and Gamble buying that overpriced, over engineered, plastic pollutant garbage. Best a man can get my @$$. I'm glad they lost a 20 year customer over their preachy pigeon holing.

I like the idea of this, and it was very useful while traveling. I bought it with a travel pack of Col. Conk and the shave was good. The portability is very nice and it is very small when packed, about the size of a box of matches. The only criticism that I have is that the blade, when the razor is diasassembled either needs to be removed and packed somewhere else, which adds a level of difficulty to travel, or if it is left on the razor, and will rub on the handle and fairly rapidly dull your blade.
When assembled, the razor is a bit small, but not too small to use.

Kinda came to a point that I forgot that I had this Razor lying around, but the few times that I have used it; it's been very nice and I would even use it as my main if my main razor handle ever breaks for whatever odd reason. If you're in the military; then this is probably your best friend because it doesn't take up any space, it's light but very strong (not made of cheap plastics), it'll tolerate the heavy banging from a ruck march and it's easy to groom with out in the field versus other handles that'll break if you're not careful and you're using a buddy's razor and tolerating the humility for the next month or so. When you're done with your 45 second to minute and a half shave, it easily collapses and you're ready to rock again without any loss in your pace...

With double edged razors, you can use the same lotion as what others are using without affecting the quality you get. Mostly, what I enjoy most is the fact these razors are incredibly easy to clean (you're not trying to blow gunk from in between the blades) and the razors are incredibly cheap when you buy them in bulk...lol...

I travel at least once a month to our corporate office in Chicago. I was tired of having to go back to cartridge razors, so I took a chance on this Merkur. My daily DE razor is the Merkur 34C, so this feels very familiar and has the same shaving profile; I found it to be the same level of blade reveal and aggressiveness. I shave both my head and face daily and I get a great shave with Gillette Silver Blue and Astra Superior Platinum razor blades.

A word or warning, TSA will confiscate any non-cartridge blades, but I've had no problems getting through security with just this travel razor. Since I travel to the same city, I was able to stockpile some DE blades in my desk at the office.

This is a small razor, but for us head shavers, it gives you the right amount of control, especially on the back of your head. The feel is lighter if you are used to a Merkur 34C, so you do have to apply some pressure to get a good shave. If you do proper prep work for a wet shave, this razor will do just fine. If you're in a hurry, I would stick to cartridge blades.

I started shaving the old fashioned way a few months ago with a Microtouch One "butterfly" safety razor. While it worked well, I felt like I could do better so I upgraded to the Merkur 34C (which is less than an inch longer than this razor by the way so if you are worried about the handle being too short, don't worry about a thing. And if not, shop around! Maggard and several other companies make handles that will fit this thing) and eventually i figured that I should get something for when I travel. Well, after much research, I settled on this razor (which is the Merkur 210 safety bar version).

Pros:

1. Has the same head as my Merkur 34C so it is a pretty easy transition. It also folds away into a little pouch that even has a Merkur sample blade in it (Which is how I learned Merkur blades tug like crazy on my beard so, back to the Rapiras).

2. As mentioned before, the handle is just as long as the 34c and the Knurling on it is great. I have never had and issue where i felt like I was loosing my grip on it both when I was testing it at home and when I was using it while traveling.

3. the travel case it comes in is small enough that it can fit in your pocket. The first time i used this i was going to a friends house and I put this razor in one pocket of my suitcase and a pack of Rapira Voskods and a travel can of Barbasol in another and I was good to go.

4. The fact that this is a 4 piece makes it super easy to clean. I find this much simpler to clean than my 34C which which is a 2 piece. I just take the whole thing apart, set it on a towel, and wipe the soap scum off of it after a trip. I also add a drop of Singer Machine Oil, 4-Fluid Ounce to the threads on it after i take it apart or even just change the blade. I also do it on my Merkur 34C (which tells you to do that every so often and since both razors are made by the same manufacturer, I figured it couldn't hurt). you can also swap out different handles as mentioned before, but I have not played around with this ability yet.

Cons:

1. While it does have the same head as the Merkur 34C, it does not have the same level of balance. While I find the 34C's handle perfectly balances out the head, this razor by comparison the head is like a lead weight due to the fact that the handle is hollow. It is not wildly more aggressive, but it is something you may need to be cognicent of when you first use it depending on what blades you load it with on the first run. Use the same blades you use in your regular razor to get a feel for it before you take it out on a trip.

2. The top piece of the handle fits into the hollow bottom portion and occasionally it takes a little effort to get it out when you want to use it. Especially when it has been in there for a while. This isn't really a problem more of an annoyance.

UPDATE: I ended up putting the head from this razor onto a Maggard MR1 handle. And yes..it is a whole new animal. It actually shaves better now than my Merkur 34C and I will soon be trying the Maggard head (which is noticeably more aggressive) on the hollow handle. All in all, I still give it 5 stars because of the leather case, and even stock, it gives an excellent shave. Just don't think you can't improve it a little by swaping out the handle or the head on it!


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Country of origin: USA
  • Small-scale travel razor slips into any bag
  • Contoured handle with no-slip grip pattern
  • Sleek nickel chrome plating

Description

Compact Travel Merkur double edge safety razor design is durable, easy to clean and easy to use. Features an elegantly chromed closed-comb straight bar head with a standard fixed blade gap. Then handle comes in two pieces that assemble together. Includes compact leather case. Merkur double edge safety razors offer the closest possible shave without the skin irritation sometimes experienced with multi-blade cartridge razor systems. Merkur razors are compatible with inexpensive recyclable double edge razor blades, saving you money while being . Manufactured in Solingen, Germany, Merkur razors are precision instruments designed to last a lifetime. Always hold the razor at about a 30-degree angle. Do not apply pressure; instead, let the weight of the razor do the work while shaving. Shave in the direction your hair grows, also known as “with the grain.” Shaving using a single blade double edge razor will help prevent irritation and razor bumps. MERKUR Stahlwaren GmbH & Co. is a leading worldwide manufacturer of quality shaving equipment since 1906, the Merkur is a subsidiary of DOVO Solingen Steelware. DOVO is an independent concern headquartered in Solingen, Germany producing a variety of men’s grooming accouterments including razors, scissors and manicure tools. Merkur offers the right model and appropriate razor for every (beard) type, thus ensuring the best conditions for an effective wet shave. Regardless of whether you prefer a thorough clean shave or want to give your beard the right contours, when you purchase Merkur products you acquire a piece of highest shaving culture for a cultivated start to the day. MERKUR Stahlwaren GmbH & Co. Böcklinstr. 10, D – 42719 Solingen



I bought this to keep in my Dopp kit because I travel a lot and enjoy a wet shave. The razor breaks down and fits into a small leather packet that you can also stash a spare blade in. This is basically the same head as the Merkur 34C with a two-part handle that disassembles. If you like a wet shave and travel much, this is the way to go.

This thing is great. I couldn't be more happy. It is pretty much a 34c but much lighter, and super small. I couldn't believe the size of the pouch that it showed up in. Great product, at a great price.

I really like this little razor a lot. Took a couple of shaves to get used to the shorter and lighter handle but I now shave as close and nick free as I do with my Merkur Progress Adjustable. I travel 5 days a week and this razor take up less room in my kit.

this thing literally fits in the palm of your hand. the full size is a perfect razor size.
Bring something to store your razor blades though. there's no real good way to keep a good blade from getting nicked when its broken down.

Great travel razor and is very compact.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment