Friday, November 1, 2019

Posted Posted by Admin in Comments No comments

Wahl Beard Trimmer with Bonus Personal Trimmer, 5537-1801

Wahl Beard Trimmer with Bonus Personal Trimmer, 5537-1801

My husband said he was tired of getting beard and mustache trimmers with rechargeable batteries. I bought a couple different clippers from the store but he was never happy with the job they did.
When I found these I figured "okay, it's a Whal so it has to be good." My plan was that if he didn't like it I would just tell him that he has to stick with rechargeable batteries.
I am thrilled to tell you that he had NO COMPLAINTS at all. Thank goodness cause I really didn't want to have to continue searching the Internet for clippers that didn't exist except in the mind of my husband.
Thank you Whal for making a pair of clippers that make my husband happy so I can stop looking!!!
If you found this review helpful please click "yes" below so that I know I'm not just wasting my time writing them.

I cut my family's hair at home and I have always liked the quality and ease of use that Wahl products provide. I also like that many of their products are made here in the US. I took off one star for two reasons. When I bought my last beard trimmer it came with one piece that slid up and down to adjust the length you'd be cutting. I found that much more useful than having several heads to take off and put on to accomplish the same thing I used to be able to do with one. The second reason I took off a star is because of the sound. This beard trimmer, as opposed to the one I bought 3 years ago, is much louder. When trimming near the ears, it's even worse. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I bought the trimmers and I still like the product, but it seems as though it just isn't quite as good as it was even 3 years ago. Other than those two pesky things, they cut nicely and work well.

I needed a new trimmer after my old one died, but with the sudden explosion of "manscaping" trimmer sets have gone up in price. Even with shipping this was cheaper than everything available at Target and Walmart. Works as expected with clean cuts and no snagging, but I really only use it once every couple months. The clip-on guards attach firmly (in fact, are sometimes difficult to pop off), and like my last kit I prefer having the stand as opposed to a carrying case. I already have a nose/ear trimmer so I didn't really need another, but it's a nice addition nonetheless.

Only four stars because honestly I can't really say "I love it" when talking about a personal trimmer, but would certainly recommend to anyone looking for a basic but serviceable model.

I bought this item to trim my mustache and beard. Contrary to what I have read, the batteries last a long time it does trim the way I like it and it is a very good product. I don't know why people have to be so critical about products. Perhaps they received a lemon or they complain about everything. I recommend this product.

Update, I have had this product for about 5 months now, perhaps a bit longer. I am using the same batteries I put in it when I bought it and it works just fine. So much for the batteries don't last long. Perhaps those complaining shouldn't use it to cut their grass!!!

Very satisfied! I'm comparing this beard trimmer to my previous one, a Philips Norelco G370 All in One Grooming Kit that I bought at a drug store for 25 bucks.

My favorite feature of the Wahl 5537-1801 is the replaceable AA batteries. This Wahl beard trimmer uses two batteries. By comparison, the Norelco G370 had a single NiCad AA battery that was not intended to be replaced by the user. (I saw a YouTube video and took it apart to solder in a new battery, but it was a pain, and the clippers were still so-so.)

I researched corded trimmers, and the professionals seem to use either the Wahl Peanut or the Andis T-Outliner. Those will last forever. I also liked the Wahl 9854-600 Lithium Ion All In One Trimmer, but I did not see an easy way to replace the battery.

For 11 bucks on Amazon, I like the Wahl 5537-1801. It is made of plastic and will not last a lifetime like the corded models, but it should last 10+ years, assuming you oil the blades with blade oil. This listing says 3310-230 Wahl Blade Oil Professional Blade Maintenance by Wahl Professional Animal, but if you look at the package, it's the same oil that they use for beard trimmers.

Oh, and this Wahl 5537-1801 makes no financial sense unless you have a stock of rechargable AA batteries. I'm using the AmazonBasics AA High-Capacity Rechargeable Batteries (8-Pack).


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Beard trimmer with five-position guide lets you create precise trims and looks
  • High-carbon steel maintains sharpness
  • Bonus personal trimmer included for ear, nose, and brow
  • 3-year warranty

Description

Wahl Cordless battery operated Beard Trimmer with a Bonus Battery Ear, Nose brow Trimmer



Wow ... unbelievable for the price. Love it! Even if it only lasts a year well worth it.

Update: It has been two years and this has worked consistently great. I just ordered my second, not because the first isn't working, but for a long time I have been missing the cleaning attachments. If you like to closely trim your facial hair instead of shaving totally bare clean, this is great. I find using regular double A batteries an advantage over the rechargeable type (have had both) because if the trimmer batteries go dead I always seem to have Double A's on hand for instant use. When I had the rechargeable type and I had to get to work, I had to wait to use it until it charged, consequently that would be a no trim/shave day, and felt somewhat unnerving. Oh, by the way the nose hair trimmer is useless. Buy a good pair of Italian scissors instead - I've tried many things and this product at Amazon is the best: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XBO4OW2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It took two tries to get one that worked. The small (nose & ear) trimmer worked both times, but the beard trimmer was defective. Amazon sent me a new one in two days and a label to send back the dead one. After the good one arrived, I tested them both by putting in the new AA batteries and flipping the switch. This time both started humming like they should. I tried them out once I knew they both worked. The beard trimmer works as well as I expected. I'm still not sure about the little one. I have to figure out how to best use it for my needs. The new slide-on heads for the beard trimmer are an improvement over the old clip on combs for my old Wahl. I'll find out about battery life. So far, it looks like the batteries will last better than the Braun AA shaver I had in college.

Going to be honest, I bought this for the nose hair trimmers. Since I hit 34 it seems the hair in my nose decided it likes to start growing like a weed. This low cost item keeps those hair in check. The feel cheaply made but they've not failed me once.. Word of advice.. Resist the urge to jam that thing up your nose and clear cut the forest. I've learned from experience you need SOME Hair to keep the dust and other particles out of your nose and throat.. No hair leads to sore throat. Some hair up there is good! On that same note. If you use the bigger clippers to.. Umm... Trim the hair down south.. For the love of all things, DO NOT GO SHORTER THAN THE 3 GUARD unless your taking a razor and going hairless. Bad itchy things happen with a high and tight down there.

After owning Wahl beard trimmers for more than 20 years, I almost didn't buy this because of some of the reviews here. I thought maybe Wahl's quality had deteriorated as have so many products in the age of corporate greed at the expense of any kind of customer service or satisfaction.

The two things that concerned me were quality of construction, and hair-pulling. The plastic it is made of does seem slightly thinner, but it is plenty sturdy and I don't anticipate problems with it. I don't think it would crack if I accidentally dropped it.

I have had no problems at all with it pulling my hairs out. My old one occasionally would when the batteries got very low, but this one has not at all. I trim my beard fairly close, using the fourth click out of five on the slidable blade guard. It's usually fairly shaggy when I trim it, about once a month.

I bought the battery version rather than the rechargeable because I have no room to leave it plugged in all the time and I don't want to wait 24 hours after I decide it's time for a trim. This version only uses two batteries as opposed to the three for my old one. I was afraid that would mean less power. Nothing could be further from the truth! The new one has much more power and the blades vibrate a lot quicker than the old one. When I saw that, I was afraid the batteries wouldn't last more than a couple of trims. This also is not the case. If anything, the two batteries last longer than the three used to. Obviously Wahl has increased the efficiency of their motor in the last 20 years.

The mustache trimmer that comes along with it for free is excellent! I was using one of those as-seen-on-TV bikini line trimmers, sort of a sideways mini-clipper. The Wahl trimmer has much more power and is alot less irritating to my skin. I wasn't sure I was going to use it at all, but I have ended up using it even more than the full beard trimmer! Works great for ear hair too!

I highly recommend this product. It's better than the Wahl trimmer that lasted me more than 15 years.

.
.

-- UPDATE --
This lasted just under three years.

Wahl saved money in the wrong places. The motors in both units are still going strong. But neither of them will work any more.

I use the moustache/ear trimmer more than the beard trimmer. About six months ago, the switch broke. Luckily it broke in the "on" position. But since then I have had to take the battery in and out to turn it on and off. Now the metal clip that holds the battery in place has weakened and is about to snap off from metal fatigue, it is so thin and cheap. It doesn't hold the battery tightly enough any more to run.

The motor on the beard trimmer is just as strong as when it bought it. But it no longer will stay on. It runs OK until I hold it up to my face, then it goes off. It appears to be the switch contact.

Still, for ten bucks, it's hard to complain too much. Even knowing what I now know, I'm buying another one.

I bought this as my previous beard trimmer was dying after 2 years. Here's a breakdown of my thoughts:

Pros:
* Low Price
* Does a decent job
* Comes with attachments/accessories

Cons:
* Feels Cheap
* Nose Hair Trimmer doesn't work

If you are looking for an inexpensive trimmer that does basic trimming, this is a pretty good trimmer for the cost. I wouldn't recommend purchasing if you are looking at utilizing the nose hair trimmer as it doesn't work. If you are looking at styling your beard, side burns, back of head...I might recommend going for something a little more expensive. I'm not sure how long this trimmer will last but for the price I'm not too worried as I just need it for basic trimming of my beard.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment