Saturday, June 29, 2019

Posted Posted by Admin in Comments No comments

The Blades Grim Smolder Pre-Shave Oil

The Blades Grim Smolder Pre-Shave Oil

I just got into straight razor shaving and many recommended a oil.

A few things to note about this product;

1. It doesn't smell like the shaving soap by the same brand. It lacks the sweetness and has more of a smoky smell. Not a problem, just not what I expected.

2. The dripper/applicatior thing sucks eggs. You can remove it but be careful not to dump all the oil out.

3. This has a lasting sent if you don't wash well with soap afterwards.

4. It will make your beard and skin feel wonderful.

If the applicatior was updated this would be a five star product.

This is a fine product. It is the first time I have ever used a pre-shave oil and my experience has been, by and large, a positive one. Besides, who can't like a product by a company named "The Blades Grim" and comes in a container almost indistinguishable from a 19th century medicine bottle. :)

Anyways, one reviewer described the scent as a combination of cotton candy and kettle corn while another as being like gingerbread. Both of these descriptions are apt, but don't get the wrong idea. It is still a mature, manly scent, and I find that it serves a a good "base" from which my shaving soap is contrasted against.

And yes, it does seem to help cut down on the irritation I normally experience.

My only issue is this. and it is the reason I deducted a star. I feel you get just a bit too little of the product for just a little bit too much money. The reason I switched over to DE safety blades was to save money. And while a few dabs go a long way with this product, it can still run out quickly. So, I find myself using it about every third shave rather than every day.

As a side note, Straight Razor and Wet Shaving Supply (which fulfilled my order) did a fine job packaging and following up on my order.

Having been a shaving soap user my entire shaving history (40 years) on a whim I purchased the smolder pre shave oil, soap and after shave. Having a thick facial hair, and working outside is a real challenge when it comes to shaving, but I was completely amazed at how well the oil and soap worked together, the hair was softened and the soap raised the stubble, for a resulting smooth shave via my vintage straight edge. As for the fragrance, well the only person I let near me says she loves it, a little smokey a little woodsy. I will definitely be reordering the samd in the future.

This stuff should be called "Miracle in a Bottle." The scent is amazing and the oil itself is sooo soothing! I've tried at least 20 shave creams and 10 preshave oils (yup, it's a "thing" with me) and I have to say this is my absolute favorite!. Makes the shave much much more pleasant and non-irritating, and it smells and feels so good that I frequently use it as an aftershave balm also (I have their aftershave balm too but this stuff is sooo soothing it's hard to not use it instead especially on days when I want the scent to go with me to work!). Out of the hundreds of products I've ordered from Amazon this is my absolute favorite so far!

This oil is great for helping you get a smooth shave. I'm not sure why I'm seeing reviews that say the smell is musky. The smell of this oil is fantastic and I get compliments on it all the time. I absolutely love this stuff and will continue to buy it.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • The best pre-shave oil for your face
  • Lifts, softens harsh, course and rogue hairs for a smooth shave
  • Stops the itch and irritation of shaving
  • From the most trusted brand for grooming - go grim
  • Conditions your skin as well

Description

The Blades Grim - Pre-Shave Oil Scent: Smolder 1 fluid oz. Pre-Shave Oil is an essential step prior to shaving. The Blades Grim Pre-Shave Enjoy a Luxurious and Comfortable Shave with our Blades Grim Smolder Pre-Shave Oil. This Pre-Shave Oil will help lift and soften your stubble/hair giving you a nice smooth shave while our specially crafted oil also treats your skin. This is the measure of a great pre-shave oil (how well it cares for your skin as well). The scent is our much loved Smolder. It is a warm and toasty mix of Venezuelan Tonka, Orange Peel, Mandarin, Coriander Leaves and Star Anise. The Ingredients of Smolder Pre-Shave Oil: Ricinus Comunis (Castor) Oil Prunus Americana (Apricot) Kernel Oil Tocopherol (Vitamin E) Fragrance: Smolder Directions: Add 3-4 drops of oil into your hand and rub evenly into the desired shave area. Made in the USA.



Before my 40th birthday I used to shave every day. Then I have noticed a painful irritation under my nose and neck. My solution was to star shaving every other day and skipping it altogether on weekends.
This product helped me start shaving everyday again.
It smells great and works even with my electric razor (when i am on a hurry)
It also lasts a lot. I have been using it since march and being july I still have three quarters of the bottle. So don't be fooled by the size of the pack.
I will definitely buy it again.

Quality product for a relatively reasonable price. I like that it is made in US, and I like the label design. I've only used it twice, but so far it works well. I'm new to straight razors and all the bells and whistles related to it (soap bar, brush, pre-shave oil). I initially got a shaving kit from Anthony, which had a pre-shave oil. That oil was thicker than this one, but so far I cannot tell that there is a major difference when I shave.

Smells great, does seem to help with irritation from the razor and it certainly feels like a closer shave. The bottle works well, only a little comes out at a time. The only issue I had was not really knowing how much to use, I ended up with about 5-6 dabs of the bottle, it seemed dry and sort of sticky when putting on my face so I put more until it didn't. I guess with time I will figure out the right amount to use. Great product though.

Preferences for shaving products is highly subjective. I found Smolder to be a fine product. I can't compare it with other pre-shaves as this is my first use of a pre-shave oil. I was motivated to try it because of ongoing skin irritation from wet shaving. I believe Smolder did a good job of increasing razor glide and the fragrance of Smolder is great. It reminds me bit of a pipe tobacco I used decades ago. It doesn't take much of the oil to do the job, so this is a cost effective product.

I had never used a pre-shave before, and this was recommended to me by Amazon after I purchased the Luxury Shaving Soap by The Blades Grim. I immediately found out what I'd been missing. It made my shave so much smoother and easier. It works extremely with when used with one of the shaving soaps they sell. Even though this was my first try at using a pre-shave, I won't look anywhere else for a better one. I'm sold on this.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment